DON’T PUT THIS OFF ANYMORE
Proverbs 22:3 NLT
A prudent man foresees the dangers ahead and takes precautions; the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
My phone rang, and the voice on the other end was barely able to speak through their cries. Their loved one was dead. He was way too young, a father of small children, and he was gone. His wife was heartbroken. For years he had taken his health for granted, he avoided facing facts, and simply didn’t take the time to go in for routine physicals. Now he’s gone. But it all could have been avoided if only he would have gotten his physical, made health changes that anyone can make, and done his due diligence.
Fathers, husbands, I implore you today, to listen to my words and act on them. Make an appointment today to get in and get a physical. Find out your numbers, and know factually where you really stand with your health. A routine physical with blood work last August cost me approximately $520. That was all out of pocket for me.
Here is what you need to ask them to do. You need to know these numbers. You need to implement these practices in your life now.
1. Know the condition of our physical heart. If you have a family history of heart attacks or heart disease, have them do an EKG, even though your insurance may not cover it. It will be more costly and expensive to die and leave your wife and kids alone.
2. Know your blood pressure readings and your resting heart rate. They will check this at your physical.
3. Know your vitamin D levels. This is a serious problem for many people. To ensure your proper vitamin D level, do as I do and use Carlson Cod liver oil in lemon flavor, and take 4 teaspoons every morning. In addition, take a magnesium tablet every day, as most men are low on this, and vitamin D will not work without it in your system. Ask your physician to check your vitamin D level, as they won’t if you don’t ask them.
4. Know your PSA numbers. Your prostate health matters. They do this through the blood test that you can ask for at your physical. In addition, don’t be afraid to ask for a routine prostate examination. It may feel odd, but it is painless. I’ve had it done several times, you will live.
5. Know the condition of your colon. For younger men, you simply take a packet home, and mail in a stool sample. Men over 50 can do this as well. But if you are over 50, have a colonoscopy at least once. Again, been there, done that. The worst part was drinking the garbage to clean out your bowels. I figured out a way to cheat the system. As soon as everything coming out of me was clear, I left the rest of almost half a gallon of liquid in the bottle!
6. Know your weight, your BMI, and what weight you should really be. You do not want diabetes or cancers that can more easily come about because of your excess weight. Excess weight also taxes your heart.
7. Take a men’s multivitamin every single day. I get mine at Trader Joe’s for a good price.
8. Change your diet now. Here is the simple truth: the Mediterranean diet has been the most thoroughly studied diet, and found to be the healthiest of all. People around the world on this diet consistently live the longest with the fewest serious health problems. I have been doing a simple, minimalist, Mediterranean diet for many years. It is very affordable, and delicious to eat. The only meat I consistently eat is wild caught Salmon from Aldi. The only thing I drink is water and a cup of coffee each morning.
*If any of you want to know exactly what I do, write to me and I will tell you exactly.
9. Start a simple daily exercise program today. It is as easy as going on a 15-minute brisk walk. Doing 20 push-ups. Doing 30 seconds of planks. Doing 10 lunges. Stretching for 10 minutes. Exercise will change your life and all for the better. You will be a better husband, father, and man.
10. Practice vigorous prayer, praise, and thanksgiving to God every single morning for at least 15 minutes. Doing this out loud, with an energetic spirit, will change your life, and relieve great stress. Vigorous thanksgiving will put you in a different frame of mind and spirit.
11. Did you know your skin is the largest organ of your body? Take care of it. Keep a lookout for unusual marks on your skin. A few years ago I went to see a dermatologist for what I thought might be skin cancer. Turns out it was just an old age spot. BUT, something else he found, that I just assumed was nothing, turned out to be precancerous, and he froze it off. Men, it may seem odd to you, but keep your skin hydrated. I use an unscented plant-based lotion, called Everyone Nourishing lotion, every day on my skin, everywhere.
12. Your lymphatic system is one of the most vital systems of your body to remove waste, toxins and support the vital healthy functioning of your whole body! BUT it only works effectively if you move!! Literally, you must be active and in motion for it to work properly. A sedentary life is killing you!
13. Your teeth help promote good health to your entire body. This is overlooked by so many people. I learned this from a dentist decades ago, and it has served me very well. Brush your gums gently with a soft toothbrush, at least 2 times a day, back and front. The gum line is where all bacteria/plaque takes hold. Floss every single day, and use a fluoride anticavity rinse 2 times a day.
14. Practice good sleep habits 7 days a week. Sleep is vital for your overall health, and mental and emotional wellness. The old adage I’ll sleep when I am dead is utter stupidity and nonsense.
15. Stretch every day! With every passing year, your muscles grow tighter, constrict more, and pull down on your joints. Flexibility is vital for your consistent quality of life, and the reduction of pain. Staying limber and flexible is vital as we age.
16. Take care of your feet! Get a good pair of shoes for wearing inside your house only, and use them every day. I learned this many years ago after seeing a specialist for severe plantar fasciitis. Throw out your slippers, flip-flops, and crocs! They are horrible for your feet.
I turned 66 today as I am writing this, and I can tell you from decades of actually doing all of the above and much more, that my life has been enriched, my mind has been renewed, and my spirit and body still remain healthy and vigorous.
And yes, absolutely God has blessed my health, and I thank him for it every single day.
Your wife and children will be so grateful you do all the things I shared with you today, and so will you!
Do not take your health for granted! Take care of it every day of your life.
Helping you become a Strong Disciple,
Because of Jesus,
Pastor Mark Darling